Saturday, October 18, 2008

Just Say No



In an effort to become healthier we have decided to cut back on foods that contain High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Hydrogenated Oils. While doing my grocery shopping at the not very healthy but oh so cheap Super Walmart I was amazed that these two menaces are in a lot of the foods that I usually buy. Capri Sun, Walmart brand Corn Flakes, most of the chip type snacks I usually buy for school lunches and applesauce( I always buy unsweetened).
This stuff is everywhere.
I left Walmart with Cheerios, Corn Flakes (non generic) and Grape Nuts. We ditched the Capri Sun in favor of good old apple juice and I came home without any chip/crackers. Next week I'm going to hit the health food grocery store to see what I can find for school lunches (I'm thinking I should have picked up some pretzels).
Go take a peek in your pantry and see how many of your "staples" contain these sneaky little ingredients, you might be surprised.
If you're already on the no Hydrogenated Oils/HFCS wagon, what are some of your favorite snacks?



My cute niece and her favorite snack!

6 comments:

amy welch said...

I buy Kettle chips and my kids love them. They even have them at Costco. Just a suggestion on the Capri Sun too, I'm not sure because I rarely buy Capri Sun but I know they have a 100% juice version. That may be better. Oh and one more thing...try Triscuit Thin Crisps. They are not as heavy as a cracker and my kids like them. Not to sound like we're the super healthy family but we're trying.

Tiana Johnson said...

I know, buying healthy can be seriously hard sometimes. I've always heard that shopping on the perimeter of the store is the healthy way, and all the stuff in the middle aisles is where you get in trouble.

Amanda said...

Thanks for the tips :)

Linda said...

Watch the wheat bread too, most of it has HFCS. We did this same sweep a while ago. Now I'm on to the aspertame sweep. I'm so going to miss my Coke Zero!

Carolee Brown said...

You will also be amazed at what has food coloring in it and how bad it is for you. You will soon get to the point of hating to shop because it is all processed. Look for "Raw" instead of organic. It's easy to think it is better if it says organic, but that really is not so. You end up with just fruit and vegetables.

April said...

I order freeze dried fruit in big cans from emergency essentials and my kids eat them up like high fructose hydrogenated snacks.