Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Megalodon Shark

John brought home this really cool Megalodon Shark tooth fossil. He met a guy who goes diving and has "buckets full" of these. We all think it's pretty cool and the kids can't wait to take it to school.



Fun Facts about the Megalodon (courtesy of Florida Museum of Natural History)

*Megalodon vanished 2 million years ago, but when cruising the oceans, it was king.

*Megalodon had 46 front row teeth, 24 in the upper jaw and 22 in the lower. Most sharks have at least six rows of teeth, so a Megalodon had about 276 teeth at any given time.

*Megalodon was about 60 feet long with a body mass of about 77 tons.

*Some scientists estimate that Megalodon ate about 2,500 pounds of food every day, including whales and other large fish.

*Megalodon lived throughout most of the ancient world's oceans, from 17 to 2 million years ago.

*Ancient people collected Megalodon teeth and traditional legends feature giant sharks.

*Megalodon may be extinct but it's still with us...starring in books and movies, on stamps and jewelry, and even in cartoons and video games.


John and this guy have plans to go diving this summer. If I'm certified by then I'll tag along. Yet another reason to visit the NC Coast (hint, hint).

6 comments:

Eskimo Bob said...

We have a fossilized Mammoth tooth that the boys just love to play with. Sometimes I think - boy this tooth has lasted tens of thousands of years, only to be destroyed by my seed. How awesome is that?

Amanda said...

So true Bob, so true.

Carolee Brown said...

so cool i want one

Stacey said...

We have a life sized megaladon head with the jaws wide open at our local museum. The kids would get a little freaked out if they stood close to it. I think that is so neat that you have one of its teeth. Wow! I hope John (and hopefully you) find one when you go diving this summer.

Jennifer said...

So cool!

The Nits said...

Wow! So many wonderful posts since I've been gone, teeth, wood etc. The wood thing is so cool! We don't go past Horizon Elementary when we drive that way. We never go to that park. It breaks our hearts too Ella.
-Samantha