Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Really Great Adventure!!!

Meet Big Red aka The Ranger aka The Beast aka The Fastest Truck in the World!
John's pride and joy. The kids LOVE to go on rides with daddy in the truck. Currently, John is waiting for his company vehicle to arrive, so he has been driving Big Red to work. This morning he needed to take the van. Big Red is missing it's shocks and John had to drive 2 hours away. I hardly go anywhere most days, so this wasn't a problem, until Hannah missed the bus.
You see, while Big Red is an awesome, fun and loud truck, it's touchy to drive (The Beast). Going from 1st to 2nd is jumpy and a little stressful for me. So until this morning, I have not driven Big Red more than a mile.
After a reassuring phone call to John, I felt confident in my abilities to drive The Beast. Ella and Hannah buckled themselves in while I started up the engine. It was loud and I had to rev it a few times...ahhh the power! With a jerk, a hop and a screech we started down the road.

Like I had imagined staying under 20 mph was hard. The truck lurched and the gas pedal was EXTREMELY touchy, needless to say I looked like a lunatic driving through the neighborhood. This image did not help the wavering confidence my two girls had in me. I laughed out of fear and amusement as I watched their heads bounce off the backs of the seat. They were not as amused. In fact Ella, my most fearless child, had a look of pure panic and fear on her face. I tried to reassure her, but every jerky movement and rev of the engine just validated her fears.

Once on the open road my abilities improved, in fact Hannah said I was "almost as good as dad" at driving the truck. By the time we got to school I was almost an old pro at driving Big Red.Hannah and I had a good laugh at the whole situation and Ella, who had been unusually quiet, exclaimed, "That was a really, really great adventure!!"


3 comments:

amy welch said...

That is so funny! Reminds me of the thought of ever having to drive good old "Gus the Bus!" The kids ask me why I have never driven Chris' bus and pretty much....I just don't want that really really great adventure just quite yet.

Carolee Brown said...

OK that made me lol. Do you remember the blue cruiser from college days "the babe magnet" Something to be said about antiques. If for no other reason than a good story and what a fun memory for you. Picture Todd driving the blue beast one day to school, and remember how you had to put it in N and rev it so it wouldn't die, and imagine the shades of red as he puts it back in gear and the backfire attracts attention, but not the kind he was hoping for. :) fun times.

The Nits said...

That is a really great story, I'm gald you blogged it. Just think of the untold damage WE could do in Big Red . . . .